Schoeneweis is in
Lefty Scott Schoeneweis, just 10 days after the sting of being released by the Milwaukee Brewers,will be one of the 25 Red Sox to be on the active roster for Sunday night’s Season Opener against the Yankees.
The 36-year-old lefty, who endured personal tragedy last May when his wife died, beat out Joe Nelson for the final spot on the roster.
He will board the team plane to Washington D.C. later this afternoon, as the Sox have a one-day exhbition series in the nation’s capital tomorrow, and then it’s back to Fenway.
“I’m all dressed, I combed my hair. I’m ready to go,” Schoeneweis said.
It is an exciting accomplishment for Schoeneweis.
“It is. It’s been a rough last 10 months or so. Like I said, there’s many times I didn’t know where I was going to be able to play, whether I wanted to play, whether I could play at all,” Schoeneweis said. “At least for the time being, I could take solace in the fact that my family stuck by me, everyone is doing well. I’m doing well. I kept battling. I grew up going to Red Sox games. It’s a pretty special thing. I’ll be real excited come Sunday.”
He was vocal last week after being released by the Brewers, but Schoeneweis explained what a difficult road it has been for him over the last year, as the father of four children who lost their mother.
“I think there’s a lot of things that have been misconstrued, I think, with some of the comments that I’ve made,” Schoeneweis said. “I never was upset with the Brewers. I wasn’t upset with anyone. You’ve got to understand, I was just disappointed with my situation in general. Again, I dealt with stuff that was beyond my control. There’s no blue-print for this. I don’t know what the decision is. It’s not like I can call up Joe Blow up from 2003 and say, hey, when your wife died, how did you go about it? How did you feel about what you should do? This is all new to me. It’s also one of the reasons I really wanted to play this year, to see how I could handle it, how my kids handled it.”