Red Sox contract info: opt-out dates, Mike Napoli’s incentives
MLB.com on Saturday confirmed the details of Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli‘s incentive-heavy contract, and learned the potential opt-out dates for two of Boston’s late offseason signings: Ryan Sweeney (March 28) and Lyle Overbay (March 26).
If Napoli, who has a hip condition, reaches 165 days on the active roster in 2013, he makes a base of $13 million. If he does not reach 165 days, here are his incentives for being healthy and playing:
He’ll get $500,000 for each of 300, 325, 350, and 375 plate appearances. Then, Napoli gets $1,000,000 for each of 400, 475, 550 and 625 plate appearances.
In that same vein, if Napoli doesn’t reach that 165-active day mark, he also gets a $500,000 bonus for each of 30, 60, 90 and 120 days on the active roster.
The bottomline: if Napoli’s playing, even if he doesn’t reach 165 days, he’ll make well more than $5 million.
Napoli also contractually has a suite on the road, and has awards bonuses: $50,000 for All-Star, Silver Slugger, Gold Glove or an LCS MVP Award. He’d make $100,000 for a World Series MVP or regular season MVP ($75,000 for second and $50,000 for third).
WEEI’s Alex Speier previously reported Mike Napoli’s contract info.
More Red Sox contract info:
- Andrew Bailey is making $4,100,000 plus $25,000 for 25, 30, 35 and 40 games finished. He also gets $25,000 for an All-Star selection, Rolaids award and LCS MVP. He gets $50,000 for World Series MVP, and $100,000 for Cy Young ($50,000 for second, $25,000 for third). He would make $100,000 for MVP ($50,000 for second and $25,000 for third).
- Daniel Bard is making $1,862,500.
- Craid Breslow makes $2,325,000 in 2013 and $3,825,000 in 2014. The 2015 club option is for $4,000,000 or a $100,000 buyout.
- Jacoby Ellsbury’s salary is $9 million.
- Joel Hanrahan is making $7,040,000. He gets $15,000 for 45, 50, 55 or 60 games finished. He gets $25,000 for an All Star selection, Rolaids award and LCS MVP. He gets $50,000 for World Series MVP, and $100,000 for Cy Young ($50,000 for second, $25,000 for third). He would make $100,000 for MVP ($50,000 for second and $25,000 for third).
- Andrew Miller has a base salary of $1,475,000, plus $25,000 for 60 games and $25,000 for 65 games.
- Franklin Morales is making $1,487,500.
- Lyle Overbay would make $22,000 per month in the Minors or $1,250,000 in the Majors. He gets $50,000 for 350 plate appearances, and $100,000 for 400 and 450 plate appearances. If not on 40-man roster on March 26, he will be released if requested or added to roster within 48 hours.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia is making $4,500,000.
- Ryan Sweeney makes $1,250,000 in Majors, plus $50,000 for 350 plate appearances; $100,000 for 400 and 450 plate appearances. If not on Major League roster on March 28, he will released if requested.
— Ian Browne and Evan Drellich