The personal collection of late Red Sox legend Johnny Pesky will be up for auction on Saturday at noon at Fenway Park. The event is open to the public and free of admission.
There will be over 200 items available, including Pesky’s 2004 and ’07 World Series rings and his AL championship rings from 1975 and ’86. Other items include autographed baseballs, trophies, Pesky’s Rolex watch and more. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Jimmy Fund, which was always a cause near and dear to Pesky’s heart.
The way Pesky’s son David looked at it, those items hadn’t been getting much use.
“We kept quite a bit. You’d be surprised,” said David Pesky. “We kept a lot of stuff that means something to the family or might be more personal things. It’s always tough to move on and have these things. Frankly, they weren’t getting displayed or seen by anybody.
“The rings were in a box in the bank, and that’s no fun for anyone. I really do think that some of Johnny’s memorabilia should be out there with the fans. They loved him so much and he was such a public person. He loved the fans. This is something that he would definitely appreciate. Having it at Fenway, even better. that’s his second home. He loved Fenway. He loved the Red Sox.”
Pesky, who had his number 6 retired by the Red Sox in 2008, died in August, 2012.
He was one of the fabled “Teammates” written about in David Halberstam’s book, along with Dominic DiMaggio, Ted Williams and Bobby Doerr. In fact, Doerr, the last surviving teammate, turned 96 earlier this week.
“Isn’t he a wonderful guy? I went out to visit him last summer and saw him out in Oregon,” said David Pesky. “Had a great time seeing him and talking about the old times.”
As for dealing with the loss of his father, David Pesky said, “I’d give anything to have him back but that’s the way life works.”
Live bidding for the auction will begin on Saturday, April. 12 at 12:00AM EST. Bids can either be made in person at the auction, via telephone at 610-524-0822, or online at www.HuntAuctions.com. Online pre-bidding ends on Friday, April 11th at 9:00PM EST. Absentee and phone arrangements must be made by Friday, April 11 at 6PM EST. More information on the event and photos of all the items being auctioned can be found at www.HuntAuctions.com.
Here are the official terms of David Ortiz’s new contract:
2015 season, $16 million.
2016 option starts at $10 million and vests in the following way based on the 2015 season:
425 plate appearances is $11 million.
475 plate appearances is $12 million
525 plate appearances is $13 million
550 plate appearances is $14 million
575 plate appearances is $15 million
600 plate appearances is $16 milion.
The 2017 option is strictly a club option, but it has exactly the same vesting escalators if the Red Sox choose to pick up the option.
It turns out Jose Iglesias was enduring more than people knew to start the 2013 season at shortstop with the Red Sox and to play third later in the season when Will Middlebrooks was demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket.
On Monday, Iglesias confirmed to Jason Beck of MLB.com and John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press that he has stress fractures in both shins. And he spoke about how much the ailment bothered him as early as last Spring Training.
“No idea. I just feel it from the very first moment of Spring Training [in 2013]. I just told myself to play through it, because I never expected something like that. I just feel pain, but Stephen Drew had a concussion at the time and that was an opportunity for me to start with the team. And I was like, ‘You know what, you’ve got to play through it.’ And I did it,” Iglesias said.
“We didn’t know what it was, but I played through it all year long. Last year I played through the pain all year long. Sometimes Farrell had to give me some days, the same as Jim Leyland here. He had to give me some days or take me out of the game because the pain was so bad. And I was like, ‘Man, I don’t know what to do to get rid of it.’ And I never found out until right now that it was a fracture.”
And in the ultimate irony, the injury for Iglesias could create a job opportunity in Detroit for Stephen Drew, who remains a free agent.
President Barack Obama was in Boston to speak on healthcare reform before the decisive Game 6 of the World Series last Wednesday. On Monday, he called manager John Farrell.
“I’m sure customary to past winners during his administration, he called to congratulate,” Farrell said. “And hopefully there’s a chance somewhere around Opening Day next year when we open up in Baltimore that we might be able to swing by [the White House] and say hello.”
Boston opens the season in Baltimore on March 31.
President Obama noted the great job that Farrell did in his first year managing the team, remarked on the incredible pitching performance by closer Koji Uehara and extended his congratulations to David Ortiz on being named the World Series MVP, according to a team press release.
The Red Sox were also invited to the White House, as they were the year following their World Series titles in 2004 and ’07.
– Jason Mastrodonato
With a chance to win the World Series in Wednesday night’s Game 6, right fielder Shane Victorino returned to Boston’s lineup after missing the previous two games with tightness in his lower back.
However, for the first time in this postseason, Victorino was dropped from his usual No. 2 spot in the batting order and instead batted sixth.
Victorino came into the night 0-for-10 in the World Series. Since the start of the American League Championship Series, he is 3-for-34, though one of those hits was the game-breaking grand slam in Game 6 of the American League Championship Series which helped the Red Sox win the AL pennant.
Manager John Farrell said that the overriding factor in moving Victorino down was that he liked the look of his Game 5 lineup, when Dustin Pedroia batted second and the red-hot David Ortiz hit third.
“In talking with Vic about this yesterday, he was understanding of it,” said Farrell. “He’s hit in the five-hole quite a bit, particularly against right-handed starters when he was hitting left-handed. I gave him my reasons for it, for what we mentioned as well as to keep the other two guys at the top of the order.”
Victorino was just happy to be able to return to the mix in Game 6. He probably could have played Game 5, but he agreed with Farrell to play it safe.
“I feel a lot better,” Victorino said. “Progressively, I’ve gotten better every day.”
Coming off a day in which just about everything went right for the Red Sox, they will be back at it in a little bit here for Game 2.
The main lineup difference is that David Ross is catching instead of Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Ross is 2-for-5 lifetime against Price with two homers. Saltalamacchia is 1-for-14.
Interestingly, Stephen Drew stayed in the lineup despite an 0-for-10 mark lifetime against Price while exciting prospect Xander Bogaerts stayed on the bench.
Jon Lester really preserved the bullpen in Game 1. Only Junichi Tazawa and Ryan Dempster were used. All hands our on deck for tonight.
The crowd was a significant factor for the Red Sox in the first game. I’m not sure I’ve heard a Fenway crowd that revved up since Game 6 of the 2007 ALCS. And it actually felt a lot like 2003 and 2004.
Under cloudy skies, everyone at Fenway Park is getting ready for Game 1 of the Division Series against Matt Moore and the Rays.
Here is manager John Farrell’s lineup:
Ellsbury; Victorino; Pedroia; Ortiz; Napoli; Gomes; Salty; Drew; Middlebrooks … with Jon Lester starting.
No earth-shattering news in the pre-game hours. Felix Doubront made the final spot on the pitching staff over Matt Thornton.
Rays manager Joe Maddon had a great line, talking about how John Lackey helped pay for his daughter’s wedding in 2002. Lackey won Game 2 of the World Series that year for the Angels, the team Maddon was serving as bench coach for. Obviously Maddon’s postseason share increased greatly with the Angels winning the World Series,
It was just a few days ago that Mike Napoli was dropped from fifth to sixth in manager John Farrell’s lineup. With his slump showing no signs of lifting, Napoli moved down again for Wednesday night’s game against the Blue Jays — this time to the No. 7 hole for the first time this season.
Napoli has just five hits in 37 at-bats in August, with no homers and three RBIs.
For the season, he has 158 strikeouts in 460 plate appearances.
The news of Napoli’s move down in the batting order was announced by Farrell in his weekly radio segment with WEEI on Wednesday.
Here are the terms of Dustin Pedroia’s new contract, through an industry source:
The contract is eight years, $110-million including the restructuring of Pedroia’s original contract for 2014.
The signing bonus is $1 million.
Here is the year-by-year
2014 — $12.5 million
2015 — $12.5 million
2016 — $13 million
2017 — $15 million
2018 — $16 million
2019 – $15 million
2020 — $13 million
2021 — $12 million
Some of the salary is deferred.
The deal contains trade protection, but not a full no trade.
There is a standard awards package.
Red Sox right fielder Shane Victorino knew Ryan Braun from playing against him for many years in the National League. He also was his teammate in the World Baseball Classic.
When Braun successfully appealed his first suspension in the winter prior to the 2012 season, Victorino stood behind him. Now he wonders if that was a mistake.
Here was Victorino’s take after the Red Sox lost to the Rays on Monday night.
“It’s unfortunate for the game. But I don’t really want to touch upon what’s going on. Again, it’s a very unfortunate situation for the game of baseball. But again, for the most part, we as baseball players got to just keep going and understand things like this happen. It’s individuals that have to take care of the situation and understand the consequences that come with that when they do things like that. But again, I don’t sit here and I don’t worry about what’s going on here. I’ve got to worry about myself and worry about what the Red Sox are doing.
“As many people have commented, it’s a cloud for the game, especially when it’s one of the elite players in the game. People are going to say, ‘Well, that’s why he’s elite because he cheated.’ He’s still a good player no matter what. But again, it’s very unfortunate. I’ve known Brauny. I’ve known him personally. It’s a sad situation. First time it happened I put my support behind him. No looking back on it, it’s kind of like, well …
“But you support your guys that you play with, support the guys that you know. Again, it’s a situation there where it’s unfortunate. Knowing him from a personal standpoint, I don’t ever want to knock a guy down. But again, that’s his situation to handle. I’m not going to comment about what he is going through or the situation that’s happened. But again, he obviously got caught. He’ll face the consequences. But the game of baseball will still go on.
Does Victorino think the playing field will eventually be leveled if players keep getting disciplined for being associated with PEDs?
“I focus on myself. I worry about myself, what I’ve got to do. I worry about getting myself healthy, getting myself going out there and playing every day. I don’t care about what somebody else is doing. That’s their situation. Let them figure it out. I don’t sit here and worry about those kind of things. I just worry about myself, go out there and try to play the game at the highest level I can play, and that’s what I focus on.
“It’s in anything, in any field, not just athletes. If somebody was cheating in your job, you’d probably feel the same way. If they were succeeding and going and being considered the best at their job, not necessarily just baseball, it’s in any job, and I think that’s where it gets unfortunate. As people say, yeah, you want everybody to be on a level playing level, but hey, individuals make choices to do things like that. Again, I’m not going to sit here and comment about them. I think it’s great that the players’ association is … but again, they’ve still got to support us as athletes. They’re on our side. Obviously, they represent us as players. That’s what the union does. Again, it’s a very unfortunate situation.
“Speaking from a guy who I know personally and been on two WBC teams with and played against him all those years, again, it’s very unfortunate, but hey, he stood up for it today. He took the brunt of it, and I’m sure there’s more to come. But again, it’s a sad situation. I look at the game of baseball, and is there more? Who knows? People talk about there’s more to come, but I worry about what I’ve got to worry about and not worry about what’s being said.”